Disclaimer:

The contents of this blog represent my thoughts and opinions and are not necessarily shared by the Peace Corps, the country of Ethiopia, or the United States Government.

Friday, May 15, 2015

Lidet #24!

My birthday happens to be on a national holiday in Ethiopia, which celebrates the victory over the Italians.  Therefore, government offices are closed and there is no work.  This allowed me time to plan ad host a birthday gathering.  It was a truly special and memorable day that I will not forget: celebrating birthday #24 in Ethiopia, with about 40 friends, coworkers and my new family; laughing and enjoying food and drinks together.  It even included having a variation of happy birthday sung to me in a mix of Amharic and English, by a group of five 10-year-old boys; priceless.


A day in pictures:


Birthday-eve preparation:  Difo Dabo bread

Day of preparations: my awesome counterpart and compound dad helping to hang up decorations (thank you for sending them mom!)

Part of the party crew!  The five boys were the ones who sang to me; so priceless!!

My compound mom and me at the end of a memorable and wonderful celebration!

Birthday decorations!

Lighting the birthday candles!
Wearing my net’ela (thank you Christine and Jesse) and party hat (thank you Bantayehu) while cutting the difo dabo bread.  Notice the food and beverages (traditional Ethiopian bday style: popcorn, candies, cookies, bread, and soda)

Cheers to the year ahead! I wish you all a great year ahead; know you're in my thoughts! Thank you for reading:)

No comments:

Post a Comment