Disclaimer:

The contents of this blog represent my thoughts and opinions and are not necessarily shared by the Peace Corps, the country of Ethiopia, or the United States Government.

Friday, July 24, 2015

Chawata: Games!

Resourcefulness Creativity. Endless Energy.  These are traits describing the children in Mezezo.  Living in a very rural and small town means they do not have access to some resources but they have unlimited creative ideas and ways to enjoy together and entertain themselves! They can be seen playing alongside the dirt road with homemade toys, often some type of wheel of circular object or objects attached to the edge of a long stick.  Groups of boys play soccer on the dirt road, with a homemade ball made from cloth, plastic bags and other materials sewn together.  Smaller children often play a game involving bottle caps or small rocks, which includes many variations of throwing one in the air and picking one up from the ground before the other one lands on the ground; it is much harder than it sounds!
  
An example of one of the many homemade balls in Mezezo!



Look closely and see if you can make out the stick with the four or more white cylinder wheels!

One aspect of many of life in Mezezo that I love is the special memories and moments that happen without planning; serendipitous.  For instance when I went to visit a Health Extension Worker last week, I happened to meet an adorable 8-year-old girl named Besalot who was playing a “chawata,” which is the Amharic word for “game.”  She had 5 metal bottle caps and I sat down with her and for 30 minutes she showed me the game and we laughed and enjoyed together.  It is moments like these that remind me of the importance of not rushing through each day, but allowing these moments to occur: due to my very hectic schedule prior to Peace Corps, these continual reminders are quite valuable, helpful and necessary!  Other moments such as a morning run that spontaneously ends with a volleyball game with a young boy using a homemade ball and homemade net are truly priceless!




Besilot is all smiles as we stopped for a photoshoot during the game!
Besilot focused on the game!

Some kids playing on the homemade volleyball net!
The resourcefulness and creativity of the children in Mezezo has also shifted my perspective of what truly is trash.  The saying goes that “one man’s trash is another man’s treasure,” and the children here certainly have made many treasures out of what many people (including myself) would consider trash!  They inspire me each day as I walk down the dirt road in Mezezo, greeting children as they play and as many run up to me to greet me; an unforgettable experience that I will always remember and cherish.



1 comment:

  1. I love your posts! It is like I am there again. I miss coffee ceremonies and the ease of culture and friendships there. Thank you for sharing your journey!

    ReplyDelete