Disclaimer:

The contents of this blog represent my thoughts and opinions and are not necessarily shared by the Peace Corps, the country of Ethiopia, or the United States Government.

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Let Them Eat Cake


How can you make a cake in rural Ethiopia without an oven?  The answer is a makeshift “Dutch Oven.” This involves a large pot, with three rocks in the bottom and a smaller pot placed on those rocks, inside the bigger bot. Then a large lid is placed on the large pot, and voila, you have an oven!

A makeshift Dutch Oven!

My sitemate Alex and I decided to have a celebration for our birthdays (both in May) and for the end of the school year with our English Club.  We used a funfetti cake mix and chocolate frosting to make this delicious double layer concoction:



Layer number one!

The final product!

The group before we ate the cake; notice Dougm (the boy in the front), eyeing the cake!




The students had never tasted this type of cake before, or anything this sweet for that matter! As they tried the cake and ate it, they were smiling, with their eyes wide and seeming to say, “WOW THIS IS AWESOME!” When I asked them in English, “How is it?” They all responded in English in unison, “Delicious!!”

Sosina and Misrek were all smiles while enjoying the cake!

We had such a wonderful afternoon together, sharing this part of American culture and enjoying with my Ethiopian friends and family, and the six students who I have been teaching English for over a year.


During the celebration, one of the student’s fathers said, “Hannah, you won’t be here next year for your birthday.”  As he said that and I looked around the room at all these people who have come to mean so much to me, and a wave of emotion came over me.  I want to spend every last minute and day that I have here enjoying with the Mezezo community; Eating funfetti cake, singing English songs, teaching about helath, playing Frisbee, and sipping coffee by candlelight in the evenings. 

A group of my Mezezo family and friends who I love dearly!

No comments:

Post a Comment