Disclaimer:

The contents of this blog represent my thoughts and opinions and are not necessarily shared by the Peace Corps, the country of Ethiopia, or the United States Government.

Monday, September 19, 2016

Reunited!


After almost a year and a half away from my host family, I was able to return to Butajira and spend time with the family that I lived with for the first three months of my Peace Corps Service.  I went for the Ethiopian New Year Celebration, which was on September 11th; Happy 2009!!

We spent the weekend together eating delicious food, sitting and talking about the past year and a half, and remembering the great times we had together.  It was so special to be back, and even after a year and a half, the minute I walked into the door I immediately felt like I was home.

As I walked into their home, the little baby (who was six months when I lived there and is now 2 years old), pointed to a picture on the wall (of me and the family), and said “Hannah!”  It sure felt good to be back home with them!


Here is a summary of the weekend, in photos:

Elshaday my little host brother. We enjoyed looking at family photos together and talking in Amharic:)

Learning how to play marbles, with my host brother, Natnael!

My host brother (Natnael), my host mom (Aynalem) and my host sister (Tsega). Happy to be back together!

A walk to the gorge with my host brother Natnael!

Birds eye view of the gorge near my home; a great and sunny spot to wash and dry clothes!

Kabir and Natnael: Such swag!

Rainy season has made the gorge very beautiful!

"Happy New Year" drawing from a child in town that was given to me while I was on a run!

Meet Buddy, my host family's new dog!

A group of girls came to our home singing and playing a large traditional drum.  Girls do this on New Years, going from home to home giving a performance, and then in return they get paid a few coins!


No comments:

Post a Comment