Disclaimer:

The contents of this blog represent my thoughts and opinions and are not necessarily shared by the Peace Corps, the country of Ethiopia, or the United States Government.

Saturday, April 2, 2016

Living and Learning! Time flies when you’re a Peace Corps Volunteer..



My first year in Mezezo is in the books; I’ve officially lived in Mezezo for 12 months and am getting ready to celebrate my second Easter (Fasika in Amharic) here. Words can’t express what a life-changing and incredible experience this has been and continues to be.  I am committed to making this second year the best that it can be; finishing projects I have started, pursuing new opportunities both in and out of work, and strengthening the relationships I have made!

I’ve had the opportunity to pursue several different activities and projects here in Mezezo, and the past few weeks and months have been quite busy but also so rewarding and meaningful.

What I’ve been up to:





Students play the "HIV Limbo," to demonstrate that having an older partner increases your risk of HIV.



A great group of 24 graduates from the GRS program!
:

With Aman, my counterpart from the Health Center, I taught the second round of Grassroot Soccer at the Mezezo Secondary School and 24 participants finished the program and graduated!  Using sports and games we taught about HIV/AIDS. We had a great five days together, and this time around we were blessed with beautiful and sunny weather.




In Amharic this says, "Welcome to the Nutrition Class for Mothers!"
A group of mothers at the first nutrition class meeting!


With my colleague, Bantayehu from the Health Center, we are leading a nutrition class for mothers.  We meet once at a week and the women come to the Health Center for an hour and we teach different topics related to nutrition, pregnancy and maternal health.




Daniel and Bereket teach about Gender Based Violence during Gender Equality Club!


After returning from the Age Summit with four Mezezo students, they have taken great initiative and decided they want to teach the Gender Equality Club each week, based on what they learned at the Age Summit event that they attended.  Last week Daniel and Bereket taught about Gender-Based Violence, they did such a great job and I am very proud of them!




Sosina, Bizu Alem and Misrek pose in front of their beautiful picture before class begins!
  
I’ve been working with the same 6 students about four days a week on their English, and the improvement in the past year is incredible.  Their eagerness motivation, hard work and sponge-like minds has made it possible for them to have massive improvement in their pronunciation, comprehension, and speaking ability! They are grades 3-8, and when we meet we sing various songs, read children’s books, do arts and crafts activities with crayons, and also various speaking activities.  There are 3 boys and 3 girls, and the boys always play soccer before “class,” but the 3 girls always arrive early and draw beautiful pictures on the board for Alex (my wonderful sitemate) and me. 


Here's to another year of living and learning in Mezezo! :)






No comments:

Post a Comment